We use two shirt brands - American Apparel (for direct-to-garment printing) and Sun International (for silk screen printing).
American Apparel 2001 (men) / 2102 (women):
I have selected this shirt for the following reasons:
- These are 100% ringspun cotton, making them lighter and softer, yet as durable as the heavier weighted shirts (fabric weight 4.3 oz/yd²).
- They are slimmer-fitting than other brands currently in the market.
- They have a higher-end feel and do not shrink as much as your average 100% cotton shirt.
- American Apparel garments also produce some of our best printing results.
- They are made in the U.S. (Los Angeles, CA).
All American Apparel shirts are printed and mailed out from a third party called The Printful. They have been in business since July, 2013 and are based in Chatsworth, California (located in the northwestern San Fernando Valley region of Los Angeles, California).
The printing technique used is known as Direct to Garment (DTG), the latest in garment printing technology. The equipment used is the Brother GT381 printer. The inks are water based and eco-friendly. This makes the feel much softer than traditional screen printed shirts, but just as durable.
Lastly, The Printful is using CPSIA (Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act) compliant inks, which are required when printing on children's wear 12 and below.
These should be only washed with like colors. You can certainly machine wash the garments in warm water that is around 104°F/40°C. Keep in mind that you should only use non-chlorine bleach if necessary and do not iron the decorated (printed) areas.
If the garments require dry-cleaning, you can use any solvent except the trichloroethylene. Tumble-dry these garments on medium.
You may notice some discoloration or off white residue on your apparel. Do not worry! This is a special solution used for printing and can sometimes leave marks during the drying process. These are not stains and will wash off after the first wash cycle.
Sun International 30500:
These shirts are soft, lightweight and long lasting. Featuring:
- 4.3 oz, 100% 30 singles, combed ring spun cotton fine jersey
- Side seamed with shoulder-to-shoulder tape
- Double-needle sleeve and bottom hem
- Regular fit - feels pretty normal
- All designs are custom screen printed, a method in which a design is printed on finished garments with one or more ink colors. Many of our designs use multiple colors requiring additional screens.
- Machine wash cold, tumble dry low, and don't iron that cool looking design! Please note, our products may shrink a bit after washing.